Saturday, June 18, 2016

Altered Book - A Vintage Journey challenge

Hello Everyone and Welcome to my blog
Hope you are all doing good and have enjoyed a great week.

I have missed joining in on challenges over the past few years, due to Design Team commitments and with hectic life in general, I guess you can't do everything!!!
There is one challenge site that I have been eager to join in on the fun, it is called A Vintage Journey

To all the peeps that know me, well I love anything Vintage, and 
the Lovely Astrid is the host for this month challenge at A Vintage Journey
and her chosen challenge is

'Embossing Pastes/ Texture

This is what she says :
'Use any kind of texture paste, homemade, crackle, coloured or plain on your project . There is an endless variety available so play, have fun and apply it to your hearts content. Use it through stencils, randomly or in whatever way you want but remember it should be in one of the vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling industrial or steampunk styles that we favour. Put on your mixed media hat and create some magic.'

What a fabulous Challenge and looking at all the inspirational designers and entries projects inspired me to join in.

So here is my project for the challenge, An altered book, 
I just spread some Texture Paste through a stencil.





I love to alter old books, this was an old book I bought from an op shop for $1. I cut out the pages and used the cover, back and left the spine intact.

Front cover of altered book





Back cover of altered book
I coated the whole of the outside of book with Gesso, then
Using a Kaisercraft stencil (T602 Damask ) and spreading the Texture Paste over the stencil pattern, directly on to the book cover front and back.
 I left it to dry for a couple of days.



Detail of metal embellishments and texture paste with stencil


I then glued some lace, calico die cuts, metal embellishments from my stash
 (it feels so good to to be able to use some of my stash that has been in my craft room for years)



Front Cover of book 




Adhering Tim Holtz metal elements & some other Metal embellishments, I glued them on to the cover and back of book. I also applied another coat of gesso here and there.







I then painted the whole book with Distress Paints, (Broken China, Rusty Hinge, & Wild Honey) while the paint is still wet I sprayed water on to the paints to spread it around on all of the textures.

I left it to dry for a day and then added some
Couture Creations Glitzin' Glamour Glitter Glue - Crystallina


on to the Metal Dragonfly. (this looks so so pretty and glittery)



So I hope you like my Altered Vintage Book,
now I have to make the pages for the inside and
decorate them, I might make it a Art journal book.





Challenge site - A Vintage Journey




Thanks for looking
Cheers and Big hugsXX

Adriana XX








9 comments:

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! This is amazing Adriana!! Love the colours and fabulous textures .. beautifully done!! Love all the details .. the lace, the metal embellies and that dragonfly is really spesh!! Stunning makeover!! Enjoy your weekend!! hugs xx

Redanne said...

What a wonderful transformation Adriana! You really have created some wonderful textures, the colours are so fresh and beautiful and I just adore that gorgeous dragonfly! Thanks so much for joining in with us at A Vintage Journey! Anne x

Lizzy Hill said...

Oh my GOSH! This is gobsmackingly gorgeous! Looooove the texture & most of all, the colours combo.... Gee whiz! Outdone yourself here:):)!!!!

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh I am so glad you decided to enter some challenges again Adriana, and I am so pleased to see you add it to ours! This is an amazing alteration, the textures are just stunning the combination of lace metal and other elements looks just fantastic! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at A Vintage Journey!

Tracey said...

Beautiful works of art Adriana....The colours are so pretty!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous textural piece. This looks so tactile . I adore the colours and the embellishments are fantastic. Thanks so much for joining in A Vintage Journey Challenge. Tracy x

Denise van Deventer said...

So so stunning...love all the textures and amazing colours! Love it! ;-)

Words and Pictures said...

Beautiful textures and colours - a wonderful altered book.
Alison x

Julia S-W said...

Fab transformation using glorious colours and textures.Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Julia S-W